Saturday, October 11, 2008

Zigomanis Could Become Key Face-Off Contributor

The Pittsburgh Penguins traded future considerations to the Phoenix Coyotes in return for forward Mike Zigomanis on Thursday.

Zigomanis has a 56.2 face-off percentage which could be a big advantage to the Penguins who finished last season with a 46.1% making them last in the league.

He also has a few more skills that will be quality assets to the team.
“I’m just a reliable guy out there,” Zigomanis said. “I’m more of a defensive player, checker, penalty killer. That’s what I bring to the table.”
And THANKS to TSCSF reader, akus, who advised us that Zigomanis is a right-hand shot.
From what i read, Zigo was/is known for his face off wins, He is also righthanded shooting RW/C.
According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Zigomanis is glad to be traded to Pittsburgh, but who wouldn't be?! [Hossa!!]  This trade also reunites him with Pittsburgh-native Bill Thomas who played with him in Phoenix with the Coyotes and the AHL affiliate in San Antonio for two seasons.
“I knew something was going to happen I just didn’t know where,” Zigomanis said of being traded. “I’m glad it’s Pittsburgh. I got in late last night. I’m excited to be here, thrilled. It’s a great organization, great team. They had a great run last year and let’s do it again this year.”
As previously posted, he will wear #15.

This sounds like a pretty solid trade that could end up making huge contributions to the Penguins and I can't wait to see him out on the ice!

WELCOME, Zigomanis!!

Information taken from "Penguins Report" for 10/08.

No comments: