Monday, October 13, 2008

RUMOR: Pens to Return to Retro Blue





Icethetics.com (where hockey and art face off) is THE place to go if you want to know the latest on logos, jerseys, etc., for any hockey teams from the NHL through the [very] minor leagues (a lot of them I wasn't aware existed).

Recently, I found out the date that the Penguins are to unveil their 3rd jerseys (November 6th - countdown is included on my sidebar to the right!! I'm excited because I already had tickets for that game)!!

Today I visited the blog and found out about an interesting rumor that I thought I'd share with all of you:

A rumor out there suggests that when the Pittsburgh Penguins move into their new arena in 2010, they'll abandon the gold completely for a new blue-based look — a throwback perhaps to their original sweater colors when they joined the NHL in 1967.
Now I don't know about you, but I am totally against this! I love the blue jerseys - don't get me wrong, but the black and gold is endearing to me and these are the only colors that the majority of us have come to know the Penguins by (the Steelers and the Buc-O's, for that matter). Over the years, it's become the common thread creating unity among Pittsburgh sports.

I have no problem with the blue jersey's being the team's 3rd, but I don't think that I would be too open for them to totally go blue - it would take a long time for it to grow on me because of my love of / loyalty to the black and gold (we all BLEED black 'n' gold!!)!!!

I could be wrong, but I honestly don't think I'm alone in my thinking among Pens Nation!!

6 comments:

Life_As_A_Redhead said...

No, you're not alone. I like the Black & gold. When you have hair like mine. Light blue is NOT flattering. However the black is. So I actually would not wear any of the blue stuff.

On that same note, changing the colors is probably how they plan on paying for the new building. (laughs) With the revinue from merch sales. Gotta keep in style, ya know.

stagerat said...

Bringing back the blue jerseys was a direct result of the popularity generated by the Winter Classic game. I doubt that popularity will overcome the Black and Gold mania that still grips da Burgh like addictive vice. I think we'll see a lot of the blue, but the B&G are pretty much here forever...

Anonymous said...

As a fan of the Pens when they wore Blue/White and then switched to the Black/Gold, let me say,
The Pens could wear neon Pink, as long as they win the fans wont care.


I do have a Black/Gold Jersey from way back when they first switched, but i have always been a Baby Blues type of girl.

Anonymous said...

these are the only colors that the majority of us have come to know the Penguins by

If the majority is under 25 i would agree, but there are alot of Penguin fans who have been fans since `67, that i would not be surprised if they are still STH.
...when they switched i do remember it not being a big deal because the other Pro teams in Pittsburgh were black/gold,but they always had been, why the Pens were not i have no idea.
The Bruins were the only ones who made a big stink out of it cause they were black/gold and felt they should be the only team to be Black/gold. Come to think of it, The Bruins may have been the first team the Pens played when they switched

Stephanie said...

The Pens have worn some form of black and gold since 1980; I'm older than 25, but was pretty young then and still do not remember them wearing anything other than black/gold -- I guess it would also be based on when you became a fan or when you were old enough to notice.

Stephanie said...

PS - sorry if I offended anyone with the "majority of us" comment (wasn't meant as an insult in any way)!!