Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Conklin Among First to Arrive at Optional Skates

The Detroit webpage recently posted an article about former Pittsburgh Penguins back-up goalie Ty Conklin who arrived in Detroit early to begin the battle to compete for a roster spot left by Dominek Hasek after announcing his retirement earlier this summer. Conklin felt it was important to get an early start in order to meet and bond with his new teammates.

I am very thankful to Conklin and admire him as a player and as a person; however, unless Chris Osgood gets hurt or his lucky streak finally ends (which, I suppose, will have to happen sometime but not until they lose some of their talented defense), he will again be competing for a back-up spot on the team and there will be no chance for him to secure a starting position. And Conklin has alot to thank Pittsburgh for as well. This was the team on which he finally established himself as an elite goalie (one which I, for one, believe is more talented than Osgood)!!

“Well I kind of approach it the same way I approach every other training camp, I have to play my best and I have to prove myself,” Conklin said. “Coming into a new organization you always have to prove yourself and most importantly prove to the guys that you can play and be counted on, and I guess I always approach it where I have to come in and earn my spot.”
The article also touches on Conlin's thoughts on Hossa and if you want to read the entire article, visit the Detroit Red Wings webpage.

No comments: