Thursday, September 18, 2008

Keepin' Up with the Pesonen Hype

More people than not are impressed with Janne Pesonen (especially sports casters / writers), so my money is on Pesonen staying. The WB Penguins Insider gave the following observation:

I wasn't really buying this whole Pesonen thing until today. I really liked what I saw. He can skate and I like the way he makes up for his lack of size by bouncing off or rolling with hits. He said he would start in Wilkes-Barre if he had to, and that's certainly a possibility so he can get accustomed to the North American game, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he stuck in Pittsburgh from the start.

Last month, I posted a semi-translated article on Pesonen which reported that his contract with the Penguins included something which dictated that if he doesn't play with the Pens then he'll return to Finland (because he is able to make more money back in Finland than with the Penguins AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre / Scranton); however, according to WBPI, it seems that Pesonen is no longer against the possibility of his playing with the Baby Pens "if he had to" (I don't think it would be too long before he'd make it back up to the NHL and he may realize this OR someone made him aware of this). Regardless, it would seem that we'll be getting familiar with Pesonen which I'm all for!

According to Bob Pompiani last night on the Subway Nightly Sports Call, Pesonen looked terrific ("he was flying") and said that Therrien gave the Finnish player a "shout-out" -- the team is happy with his speed.

[photo courtesy of LGP.com message board ADMIN]

No comments: