Sunday, September 21, 2008

My Thoughts on Pesonen

I like Janne Pesonen - I don't know why exactly, but I do. He didn't show me anything at last night's game, but I'm still rooting for him to make the team. I could make guesses why I like him -- it could possibly be because of all the hype he's been receiving and the following he has, or the fact that I always cheer on the "underdog" (he's quite a small player -- 5' 11" - but looks much smaller on the ice, even smaller than Sid and he's around the same size), or maybe I can just chalk it up to the fact that I lost Ruutu and I'm looking for another Finnish player to fill the void OR perhaps it could be a combination of all these reasons - but who really knows? And who cares?

I just know I like him!

I like his heart and hustle. He is very fast just like all the reports have been saying -- his form reminds me of a speed skater seeming to stay low to the ice. He didn't do anything impressive last night but I don't think he had much of an opportunity either especially since he was playing on the 4th line. But he never gave up and even assisted Petr Sykora on his second goal.

My husband, John, also brought up the fact that he was able to keep up with the speed of the game and other NHL players which is a good thing.

If he doesn't make the team from the start, he'll be here sooner rather than later -- there's just something about him - I think once he starts getting comfortable with everything, he's going to be unbelieveable; unstoppable!!

Here's Janne discussing the game in his own words (he speaks half-decent English which is also a plus for him):

No comments: