Saturday, July 12, 2008

WANTED: GM (Experience with Penguins Preferred)!

Just another chapter in this off-season's saga we like to call the Tampa Bay Lightening!

It was announced on Friday that Lightening's general manager, Jay Feaster, resigned as Tampa Bay's general manager after 10 years with the organization (6 of which were as GM). Feaster had 3 years left on his contract which I find pretty interesting (leads to alot of speculation - especially after reading his statement released by the team)!

“For the past two weeks I have watched from the sidelines as Brian Lawton, Len Barrie and Oren Koules executed to perfection the game-plan they shared with us prior to the NHL Draft in Ottawa. During that time it became apparent to me that this new ownership group did not need my advice or expertise, and I came to the conclusion that it was time to move on. When I expressed that sentiment to Oren and Len they immediately agreed to honor my contract and accept my resignation. I thank them for working with me through a difficult time and I wish them every continued success.”
INTERESTING!

With the pattern of their recruiting Penguin/ex-Penguin players, it started me thinking -- what OR who will be their next move with this latest spot to fill? GM - Pittsburgh Penguins, Ray Shero - NO, I think he's pretty happy here & has been pretty busy; who else? AH - Craig Patrick!

PERFECT!!

I saw an interview with him on SportsBeat a few months ago and remember him telling Stan Savran that he misses being a general manager and that he would eventually like to "come back."

This could be a perfect fit and the perfect time; another piece of the puzzle TB has been putting together to create a pseudo-Penguins team - wouldn't you agree?!

And they just can't LET IT GO -- if you look on their webpage it reads, "THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE 2004 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION." THAT WAS 2004 -- MOVE ON (I guess that's what they're trying to accomplish with all this huge moves and they'll do whatever they can to change 2004 to 2009)!


Feaster's PA Connection (also found in the TB article online): Before joining the Lightning as assistant general manager in 1998, Feaster was one of the leading administrators in the AHL, having worked for the Hershey Bears for nine years. While in Hershey, he won a Calder Cup and was named the AHL Executive of the Year in 1997. COOL!!

No comments: