Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Big CROSBY / OVECHKIN Debate!!


[UPDATE] To be fair to Going Five Hole, I want to clarify the fact that his feeling that Ovechkin deserved the 2008 ESPY award for NHL Player of the Year is shared by the majority of hockey fans out there regardless of where his / her loyalty lies (Empty Netters posts: "Sidney Crosby won ESPN's hockey player of the year award at the ESPY's. We'd complain about Alex Ovechkin not winning it but complaining about ESPN's coverage of hockey would be like complaining about the Food Network's coverage of hockey").

As GFH later pointed out, Ovechkin is deserving of the title THIS YEAR due to the fact that Crosby was sidelined in January with a high-ankle sprain. As long as he remains healthy, Crosby will undoubtedly be the better player for years to come! Geez - did I just start another debate?! ; )

As you can read for yourself, Going Five Hole (a loyal commentor of TSCSF which I appreciate) posted a comment on my ESPY Award entry - "Was there really any question?!" as to whether or not Sidney Crosby was the NHL's Player of the Year to which he questioned "what was ESPN thinking?" and brought up Alexander Ovechkin being more derserving of the title than Crosby; however, I believe that these awards were voted on by fans so, obviously, Crosby is the fan-favorite since he was chosen over Ovechkin.

Which brings me to my point that there will FOREVER be a debate as to who is the better hockey player because that honestly comes down to a matter of opinion and hockey fans will NEVER have the same opinion whether we root for the same team or not (such as in the case of TSCSF and Going Five Hole!). So this will continue until these two players retire just as the classic debate between Lemieux and Gretzky did. Honestly, I automatically side with a Penguin player because that's where my true loyalty lies as a die-hard fan. I could actually list the differences between Crosby and Ovechkin and why I feel Sidney is the better player, but I won't because that will take up too much of this blog and it's my opinion which is something that I really don't want to force on anyone (although this is my blog and I'm able to post comments based on my opinion anytime I feel the need to "Piss & Moan" as one commentor put it). I have my beliefs just like the rest of you do and you are entitled to them just as I am, SO -

I will always be open to your comments and always invite readers to post their thoughts, comments, opinions, etc. And I would like to thank Going Five Hole for expressing his opinion because that's what makes this blog a success and why I started it in the first place -- to discuss the Penguins with other fans and to get their take on it even if it is different from mine!

Enough said (KEEP THE COMMENTS COMING)!!

1 comment:

Sean Leahy said...

just to keep things in perspective and not have anyone think i'm committing treason...

OV deserved it for THIS year :) Sid is of course going to be the better playing over the next 20 years of course