Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sykora to Practice with Straka's Team

Even though I was able to get a translation of this "Sport" article via Google Tools, the translation provided by Tomas Jandik of LetsGoPens.com (LetsGoPens.com's "Resident Czech") is somewhat easier to understand. You can click the links above to view both versions OR simply continue reading as I posted Jandik's translation below:

  • Q: Wasn’t Martin Straka, due to his General Manager position, persuading you to sign with Pilsen? A: I told 'Stracha' that I’d like to play in America for 3-4 more years and then I’d come back. I gave him a clear signal to keep himself in shape until then so that we can play together.

  • Q: And what did he say? A: He said that in 3-4 years he probably won’t give a damn about playing. {laughing}

  • Q: What is actually your relationship with Martin Straka? A: I like Martin very much and he’s been my role model for a long time. He is one of the first Pilseners to make it in the NHL and I always wanted emulate him. I see myself in him a little. {smiles}. It’s great that now I can be with him in one locker room and practice. I still have a lot to learn from him; one could not refuse that.

  • Q: So you are getting ready to go back on ice. Is that so? A: I started practicing only on July 1, which is the 4th week of the classic plan. It was because I was playing almost until the middle of June. That’s the reason I wanted to give it some time before I’d go back on ice. Last year I was in Beroun, but thanks to ‘Stracha’ being in Pilsen this year, I will be practicing here. In a week, two at most, I’ll join the guys on ice.

  • Q: So does it mean you feel good? A: Yes, I’m healthy and I am already getting used to the regular workload. I’m just fat as a pig. {laughs}

  • Q: Let’s turn a page. Before Jaromir Jagr’s fate was sealed, there were speculations about him signing a contract with Pittsburgh. Did you pay attention to it? A: I definitely followed that closely. I’m sorry that Jarda won’t be playing in the NHK, because it is still a top-caliber player. On the other hand I have to say I am glad he won’t be coming.

  • Q: Why? Wouldn’t you be interested in working with the famous countryman? A: Yes, I would, but if he signed with us, I’d probably have to move out. {he smiles – in Pittsburgh, he lives in Jagr’s house}

  • Q: Do you know why Jagr’s deal with the Penguins has not worked out? A: I did not see into that problem so deeply, we don’t even talk to each other on a regular basis. I think that ‘Dzhegr’ will be satisfied in Russia. The team will be relying on him, he will be a star there. That’s what fits him.

  • Q: Have you been following the Penguins? A: I have been following everything regularly. Newly, we have Satan and some Russian on the roster. I think our team will be at least as strong and we have a real chance to repeat the last season’s success. Maybe even to add that one more winning series.

  • Q: Thanks to Satan signing you don’t have to be that disappointed about the loss of the productive Slovak Marian Hossa. Is that so? A: I take it a little differently. For me, it’s better that Hossa left, because now I should get back on the first power-play unit again. That’s the best place how my productivity can help the team.

No comments: