Saturday, July 19, 2008

One RUSHER's Perspective

THANKS to another one of TSCSF's faithful commentors, Eric K. from Experiencing the Evolution, for giving us another prespective on the current "Student Rush" situation. Eric commented on my recent post, "TALK on the Possible End of "Student Rush," giving my take on this whole thing.

Although all TSCSF readers have access to the comments posted here, I just feel it's important to bring everyone's thoughts and feelings into the forefront which is why I am making a special post for Eric K's comments along with a few posts from the Let's Go Pens message board to give everyone the whole picture.

I think we all saw this coming. The beginning of last season, I student rushed 2 games, was about 50 people back in line, and got in no problem. Then, in March I tried again. About 30 people back, no dice. It's sad that student rush will be coming to an end, but I look at it this way: Would I rather pay $20 for a ticket to see a lackluster team struggle for a victory, or would i rather pay $100 for a ticket to see the best team in the Eastern Conference dominate the opposition?The end of student rush is sad, but it only means that the Penguins are finally where they've been trying to get-- on top of the NHL. -- Eric K.

I think even though we all may not have taken part in "Student Rush" since we aren't all lucky enough to live near or attend school in Pittsburgh, we probably all feel the same way -- we want to see the Pens be successful and are enjoying their rise to the top. And as true fans, we all have that in common. I also think that alot of us understand that, as the Pensblog pointed out, "it's the nature of the beast."

As a fellow fan, I can somewhat relate to Eric K. and the rest of the Student Rushers in a way for the simple reason that I can recall a time when it was possible to get tickets for a game whenever I wanted (not just the second they go on sale) OR getting a phone call from the Penguins ticket sales trying to get me to purchase a 6-pack mini-plan because "they noticed" I purchased "a number of tickets to individual games" that season and felt it would be beneficial for me to consider; and even friends telling me they said to each other, "remember when we'd go to games and there was hardly anyone here?!" Yes, eliminating the number of discount tickets is a business move by the Penguins, no doubt; but I also think it deals with the fact that everyone who wants tickets to the game are unable to purchase them (sort of a win-win solution).

Here are other comments that I've come across on Let's Go Pens [with my thoughts in blue]:
    • How would the pens be screwing their fans if they discontinued student rush because they're selling out. I'd argue they're screwing their fans more by keeping them on a waiting list for season tickets so that they can offer student rush tickets. I think the program was great when ticket prices were exorbinately high and the student rush program allowed the team to practice some price discrimination. They could still maintain high prices and get people into the arena. The program was also great when the team was awful because obviously they were having trouble filling the rink otherwise. The team needs to maximize revenue, i trust their financial people and demand forecasters to price in the best interest of the organization. [this guy basically feels the way I do and brings up things I did in my previous post on this subject]
    • The Pens are being generous keeping a couple games for the student rush, and having 400 tickets. But, if we want to keep up with the other NHL teams, and be able to afford these players, you have to eventually raise the prices while demand is high. Plus, we have one of the smallest arenas in the league. Can't give that many seats up.
    • Yes, but at the same time, it wasn't these bandwagon jumpers writing letters to elected officials and standing in the January rain for Pens rallies (anybody else remember that rally before the Isles game?), it was the Student Rushers. It's not the only reason, but lines of students lined up all the way around the building was certainly a big contributing factor in showing that this team had a future in this city, and those letters to the Three Stooges kept their feet to the fire to work out a deal. So, the Pens should say to these same people "Thanks for the help....see you when your number gets called!" just because they had the bad luck to go to school at the same time that season tickets filled up? [Honestly, I think the Pens are saying "thank you" to these fans by continuing to set aside tickets!! They could've easily eliminated this program altogether!! This is another illustration of why I think the organization is trying to accomodate as many of their fans as they can -- they are still thinking of their loyal student fans -- another "win-win"]
    • It does suck, but where do you draw the line? I was a student rusher (even though I just out of school, but had a legit ID) back when the Pens sucked and 10K was showing up to the games. Now, I have a good job, and am on the waiting list, and am willing to pay the regular asking price for those tickets. I've been splitting a package with 3 other friends for about 5 years now, but I want to go to more games now that I can afford them. I also attended that rally, and wrote, many, many letters to the politicans. The team is in high demand right now, and if you want to keep all of these players, you will need the revenue. They set aside 1,600 tickets (400 for 4 games) to "thank" the students. And for those people standing in line back during the arena debacle, many half have already graduated.
    • The student rush plan is a good idea when you are not selling out. Other than that it is nothing more than a curtesy. The Pens do not need the student rush program to groom future ticket buyers... their on-ice product is capable of selling the tickets now. If the Pens suck again in 10 year... having a student rush program now is not going to help ticket sales then.
    • Supply and demand, sorry folks!

1 comment: