Friday, July 18, 2008

THOMAS Excited for the Chance to Play with Pittsburgh

The official Pittsburgh Penguins webpage is featuring an article on their newly acquired forward, Bill Thomas.

John remembers (I vaguely do) being at the game against the Coyotes last season when the highlight was Thomas' return to Pittsburgh to play the Penguins. I believe I remember his family being there and signs made by Pens fans welcoming him back to Pittsburgh.


From the sounds of the article, he has a good chance to fill in one of the forward spots the Pens have. Management feels he is someone who could fit "in the mix."

"The Penguins were intrigued enough by Thomas’ potential that they called him on the first day of the 2008 free agency period on July 1."

“They told me they were looking for one or two forwards to fill out the roster , and that they’d like me to come in and try to be one of those guys,” Thomas said. “And if not, I can go down to Wilkes-Barre and try to be one of the first call-ups.

However, returning home to Pittsburgh to play with the Penguins was not a decision he made based on the novelty of it, he felt that the Penguins would be a good fit for him as well.

“I didn’t want to make my decision just based on the fact that I’m from here. But there are some openings, and I think I’ll have a good opportunity. That’s really all you can ask. To have the chance to do this for your hometown team, though, is pretty amazing.”

If you'd like to read the entire article, visit the official Penguins webpage!

No comments: