Friday, July 18, 2008

Latest BUZZ on Craig Patrick

TIOPS posted updates on the speculation that Tampa Bay is considering Craig Patrick for the vacant GM position. Patrick is to have had discussions with the Lightening owners who would like to hire him as an advisor which would enable them to continue being responsible for GM duties.

I don't know how much I believe this information. As much as Craig Patrick misses being a GM and looks forward to getting back into it, I can't see him signing with an organization in any other capacity - there's no way he would be satisfied with the answers he gave to several recent interviews ("I've been trying to get back in since I left,")! I think he'd be selling himself short if he did accept anything other than a GM position.

According to an article posted a few months ago on The Hockey News: Screen Shots, "Craig Patrick the 'perfect person' for the Leafs GM job", there was speculation that Patrick was approached by the Toronto Maple Leafs (which was prior to Jay Feaster's resignation as Tampa Bay's GM back on July 11th).

“I don’t want to comment on (being contacted), but I will say I’m the perfect guy for the job,” he said. “The way they’ve described the person they’re looking for, I’d be the perfect person. I had great success drafting when I was in New York and had similar success with Pittsburgh at the end. “I know how to build a team and an organization, so I know I’m the perfect person for the job. We’ll see what the next step is.”

Hopefully, there is some truth to this article and that Patrick has a better chance at being hired as the Leafs GM rather than his settling to become Tampa Bay's advisor; however, seeing as how this article was posted back in May, it doesn't look good. But there's always hope!

No comments: