Thursday, November 13, 2008

Former Penguin Player Suspended for Elbow

Former Pittsburgh Penguin agitator Jarkko Ruutu, who currently plays for the Ottawa Senators, was handed a 2-game suspension without pay (close to $14,000) after NHL held a disciplinary hearing yesterday morning.

Ruutu allegedly threw a blatant elbow into Maxim Lapierre's head in the third period of Tuesday's game against the Montreal Canadiens which Ruutu claims was not deliberate.

"Well obviously, it is what it is, and I have to live with it," said Ruutu in a release. "Like I said, I had no intention to do it, but accidents will happen and I'll have to deal with the consequences."

Canadiens' head coach Guy Carbonneau had a different opinion on the matter.

"I think it was a deliberate head shot," Carbonneau told the Canadian Press Wednesday after team practice. "We all know what kind of player (Ruutu) is, so I'll leave it at that."
To VIEW THE VIDEO and decide for yourself, click HERE (also includes Ruutu interview).

8 comments:

The Mick said...

There was nothing "allegedly" about it. He clearly meant to hit him in the head. He disguised it pretty well, but if you watch the video in slow mo, he could have easily hit him with his shoulder but clearly brings the elbow up way before making contact. I like Ruutu and all (my boy even has his autograph) but that was a dirty hit.

Stephanie said...

I suppose I could be bias (being a big Ruutu fan and all), but I have watched the video a few times and still don't know -- I guess I'm thinking that he was never DIRTY (yes, he was a pest & pushed it alot of the times) when he played for the Penguins, so I have a hard time believing he would be that way now on another team. I also think he gets a bad rap alot of the time just because others view him as dirty. But TJMO.

Life_As_A_Redhead said...

Ok, that suspension is TOTAL BULLSHIT!!!

And I'm usually much more diplomatic than this.

Life_As_A_Redhead said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Mick said...

Understood, but you have to look at the game situation in which it occured. The Senators were down 3-0 in Montreal and were getting pounded both physically and on the scoreboard. Tempers flare and stuff happens. And if you look at the hit in slow mo, when he starts making a move towards Lapierre, his stick is on the ice. When he hits him, the stick is up at the logo, parallel to the ice. Put your hands down by your waist, then raise them up to the middle of your chest. Elbow is ready to be used, right? I think he did it intentionally and he did deserve his suspension.

And let's be honest, if Ruutu did that to Crosby or any other Penguin, you'd be calling for his head. I know I would be.

Stephanie said...

OK, OK - I "give!"

Seriously, this is such a great "argument" as to why it was a dirty hit (with all the points you brought up) that I decided to make it a post for tomorrow -- so check back!!

THANKS for posting the comments!

Rage said...

I think they HAVE to suspend him, but I really don't think it was intentional. This says it a lot better than I could:

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/sh/comments/how_one_could_defend_ruutu/

Stephanie said...

LOVE the amount of attention this one is getting!!

THANKS, Rage for the awesome post (probably one of the only) defending Ruuts!!

It'll be in the post here tomorrow!!