Tuesday, August 19, 2008

We Should Be THANKING Mario for the New Arena!

There was an article in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review posted on Friday, August 15th reporting that fans are upset with Mario Lemieux because of his tactics during negotiations for the new arena deal. I'm not sure what area this columnist chose to question people in or even who these people are (are they even fans?), but none of the fans I heard at the ceremony last Thursday echoed these feelings unless you feel chanting, "MA-RI-O" over and over is a form of resentment!

Personally, the Pens are here for good, so I don't give a flying shit how they did it! And I honestly chuckled when I heard that Mario was bluffing and knew that the team wasn't going anywhere. On the ride home from the ceremony, someone on the radio reported that Mario said that the trip to Kansas City was for nothing more than a good meal! How funny is that?! Sure, if I'm living in Kansas City I wouldn't be the slightest bit amused, but I'm NOT! If you ask me, these are practices of a good businessman; and it turns out, real businessmen agree (Biz owners back Mario's tactics)!
"He knew how to strike at the heart of the fans and the city," she said. "I think he really duped the people of Pittsburgh, and he'll definitely get away with it because of who he is." - Kristin O'Neal, 28, of the South Side
What the hell is her point? What difference did it make if he played on our emotions? Let's think about this: was it really the fans he was playing? We weren't the ones who could do anything about the deal, so why would anyone think he was targeting us? Yes, I'll admit that I wasn't happy with him when it seemed like the politicians [Rendell] seemed to be open with the deal and giving the organization what they wanted and he'd come on the news to say how he didn't like how Rendell was handling things sounding as though there was no way this deal was going to get done. He knew what he was doing and that was only a passing moment of uneasiness for us thinking that the Penguins were leaving, but what was the end result? We HAVE the Penguins and a new arena! What did bluffing hurt? Hasn't Mario saved the Penguins more than once? Why would he do all that if he didn't love Pittsburgh and the fans? I don't think he would and we all should realize this already (he LIVES here for crying out loud)!!

Lemieux is one of the many people we, as fans, should be thanking right now! And as much as people have against Rendell, Onorato, and Ravenstahl, I do believe that they are to be thanked as well!

At the end of the groundbreaking, I heard several people say "thank you" to Mario as he walked past them. I believe he had the fans' best interest in mind and and they [we] know that. He wanted to do what he could to keep the team here and for that, Mario, I say "thank you!"

No comments: