Thursday, August 28, 2008

Q & A with Ben Lovejoy

With the announcement of the upcoming prospects camp, I was looking for a little more information on a few of them and came across this prospects resource webpage called Hockey's future which I'm sure alot of you may already be familiar with. I've come across it before just browsing around the internet but I didn't realize some of the interesting information they have on the site.

For instance, they posted a Q&A with newly signed Ben Lovejoy recently. They preface the article with some background information about Lovejoy saying that he doesn't consistently score but is a solid defenseman with a good outlet pass and "will jump into the play if needed." Lovejoy himself admits on his blog that he isn't very consistent when it comes to scoring goals. The site goes on to say that his game got better as the season went on and ended up being the 3rd on his team among the defensemen with a total of 20 points. Really not too bad.

Here's a few of the questions here, but if you'd like to read the entire Q&A, visit Hockey's future:

Hockey's future (HF): Going into the 2008-09 season, what are your expectations? What aspects of your game do you plan on improving? Ben Lovejoy (BL): I expect to go to camp and try to play as well as I can. I know that there are a lot of talented defensemen in Pittsburgh. My goal is to have a good showing at camp and hope that my time will come sometime this season.

HF: What was your major at school? Did you see yourself doing this as a profession or was it a fallback plan if you can’t pay the bills playing hockey? BL: I majored in American history. Growing up my dream was always to play hockey. I went to school because that is what people from New England do. I’m sure someday I will have to get a real job and use my degree. But right now my goal is to be a professional hockey player and I have not thought about what I will do after.

HF: The popular television show, The Office, takes place in the town of Scranton. Do you get a lot of jabs and or jokes from friends for working in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area? BL: Yes. All the time. When I tell a person that is where I play, the only things they know about the area is from watching The Office. It is a really funny show. I’m actually pretty disappointed that no one wears around a WBS jersey with the nameplate “From Dwight” like the one Michael receives as a present from Dwight for his birthday. [John and I absolutely LOVE that show and I have given him a shirt with "FROMDWIGHT" on the back of it!!]

HF: Locker rooms are known for their camaraderie and player antics. Are there any locker room horror stories you would be willing to share with us? BL: Nope.

HF: What guy on the team do people not joke with? BL: No one ever messes with Timmy Wallace. That guy is scary.

HF: If Paul Bissonette and Chuck Norris got into a rumble, who do you think would win? BL: I wouldn’t mess with Biss. [could we possibly have a replacement for Gary Roberts?!]

No comments: