Saturday, April 4, 2009

Penguins Sign Two Prospects this Past Week

On Thursday, the Pittsburgh Penguins signed forward Joe Vitale from Northeastern University. Read the article posted on the Northeastern Athletics webpage on Thursday.

In addition to his New England Best Defensive Forward honor, he was named Hockey East's Best Defensive Forward. Last Year, he was named New England's Most Improved Player, a New England All-Star, second-team Hockey East All-Star and Northeastern team MVP. Vitale also joined a select group as a two-time Northeastern captain, becoming only the eighth Husky to don the 'C' twice.
READ VITALE'S PLAYER PROFILE PAGE HERE.

Then yesterday, the Penguins signed Vitale's teammate, free agent goalie Brad Thiessen. Read the article posted today on the Northeastern Athletics webpage.

From TSN.com:

Thiessen is one of three finalists for the Hobey Baker award as the top college hockey player for the 2008-09 season.

The Aldergrove, BC native finished fourth in the nation in victories with a record of 25-12-4. He recorded six shutouts in 41 games with a save percentage of .931 and goals-against average of 2.11.

The 23-year-old was named the best goaltender and Player of the Year in Hockey East.

This seems be a solid move considering he appears to be a talented goalie (he even has his own site, Thiessen39.com!). My first thought was whether or not this means they're already making plans for next season and considering bringing John Curry back up in place of Garon as a backup for Fleury (I am in favor of this idea; Curry is an amazing goalie and he had a good showing during the pre-season as well as this season in the AHL!).

Both Vitale and Thiessen were assigned to the Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Baby Pens.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

john curry as backup?!
OHMYGOD.
i'd be the happiest person EVER!

Life_As_A_Redhead said...

I agree. I see next years goalies, being Fleury & Curry

Anonymous said...

nothing against garon, but he just isn't working for me.
and aw, fleury & curry rhyme :]

Unknown said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Love your Blog.
Discount Pittsburgh Penguins Tickets

Stephanie said...

@Geroge - THANKS for leaving a comment! I'm glad you enjoy the blog and I hope you continue to read! THANKS again!!