Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Bylsma No Longer "Interim"

The Penguins announced today that they have formally named Dan Bylsma as THE head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins. You just knew that was coming sooner or later!!!

Both sides agreed to the multi-year contract last night and the team was told before practice this morning (I haven't been able to get anymore specifics than that).

“Dan has done such an impressive job with our team, both on and off the ice, that we didn’t see the need to wait any longer to announce our decision,” said Ray Shero, the Penguins’ executive vice president and general manager. “He is the man we want to lead the Pittsburgh Penguins as our head coach.”

“Dan has impressed us all with his knowledge of the game, his relentless work ethic, his communication skills, and his ability to relate to the players and staff,” Shero said. “When Badger Bob Johnson was the coach of the Penguins, he said every day was a great day for hockey. Dan approaches the game with that same type of enthusiasm. He accepted the challenge of being our interim head coach in February and made this a very easy decision for our ownership and management.”

I honestly have grown to like Bylsma over these last few weeks and I must admit that I was trying hard not to only because I liked Therrien so much and it was such a shock when they fired him; however, I realize that Bylsma is one of the reasons that the Penguins turned their season around and are now in the Playoffs. Its hard not to like a guy like Bylsma who seems to be a good fit for this young team. He puts you in mind of Mike Tomlin in the fact that he's very well-spoken and seems to want to do what's best for the team and puts guys in positions he knows they'll excel in which is something that makes any system (not just in hockey) work better in the long run for the "whole."

I also get the feeling that we will be raising the Cup during Bylsma's tenure as the head coach (perhaps this year??? wouldn't that be an accomplishment?!)!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO Head Coach DAN BYLSMA!!!
“I want to thank Ray Shero and our ownership for giving me this tremendous opportunity to be the head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins,” Bylsma said. “I’m humbled. I’m excited. And I look forward to continuing to lead our hockey
team.”

“We’ve got a great group of players and a great staff. We’ve got phenomenal fans and a state-of-the-art arena going up across the street. The future is bright for hockey in Pittsburgh, and my family and I are happy to be a part of it.”

No comments: