Monday, April 27, 2009

The Maxime Effect


Yes, Talbot got his ass handed to him - there's no arguing that, but it wasn't all that bad (it could've been much worse). The thing is the fight had opposite effects for each team - Carcillo didn't do Philly any favors and Talbot succeeded in lighting a spark under the Pens bench.

Talbot is not typically a player who drops the gloves, but he was willing to step up for the team (take a beating) so the momentum could possibly change (and what was there to lose? they were already down 3-0!) and the team didn't want to waste the opportunity.

I realize that alot of fans / writers / announcers do not want to fully credit this fight with the positive effect it had and I understand that; however, the players / team themselves said it was a turning point, so how can you argue with that? There's no denying that it was a contributing factor to that important Pens win.

"It's no little thing," right wing Bill Guerin said. "It's a big thing."

Added captain Sidney Crosby: "Anytime a guy puts himself on the line like that, you want to follow that up."

"It was one of those moments where (we were like), 'Whoa, what just happened?'" Briere said. "All of a sudden it gave them life."

2 comments:

Life_As_A_Redhead said...

Since I missed this exciting moment I really have no business commenting.

But I just have to ask. "After watching your teammate, who you obviously like. Take the kind of ass beating I saw in that video. I ask you. HOW can you not want to punish the bastard who did it?"

Stupid announcers. This is why I have the mute on 1/2 the time when I'm watching hockey.

Aubrey said...

The reason no one wants to talk about it is because it blows great big holes in their deluded theory that fighting has no place in hockey. Do we win the game without the fight? I don't think so...