Friday, April 10, 2009

Let's Start Talking Playoff Beards!!

Since the Stanley Cup playoffs start next Wednesday and the Pens finally clinched a spot, I thought I'd start something new and fun on the blog involving the playoff beard and keep track of things with the Penguin players as both the team and the beards progress!

Playoff beards have long been a tradition of hockey players which is speculated to have began sometime in the late 1970's - 1980's depending on where you look on the internet. The inception and who started it is just as must a mystery as the beard itself!!!

The first installment of "Evolution of the Beard" begins with thoughts from Bill Guerin:

“We do have some guys (on the team) who have a hard time growing a beard. We can always pencil them in.”
I wonder who he's talking about!!!

7 comments:

Life_As_A_Redhead said...

I wonder who he's talking about!!!

Not Staal.

Anonymous said...

no doubt about it, it's NOT talbot or dupuis!
ha.
could is POSSIBLY be Crosby?!?!

Aubrey said...

It's too bad no one's thought of something for the girls to do. I know we can sponsor someone else's beard, but it's not the same :(
Buckeyes Are Deadly Nuts

Tyson Chaney said...

Aubrey, you can create something for female Penguins fans to do. Does Pittsburgh have a first-round playoff opponent yet? Anaheim is still waiting for a matchup, depending on what St. Louis does Sunday.

Aubrey said...

Tyson, I'm toying with the idea of drawing on an eyeliner mustache. It's already scaring my Mom :) The Pens will play the evil Flyers in the first round, though it's still uncertain who'll have home ice.

Tyson Chaney said...

Aubrey, we need to see a picture of that! I'll say my beard is in honor of the NHL playoffs even though the reality is I don't like to shave.

Aubrey said...

OK Tyson, here you go. There's a photo of my playoff 'stache in my most recent blog at Buckeyes Are Deadly Nuts. Enjoy!