Thursday, April 9, 2009

Penguins Fan Appreciation Night Tonight!!

The above picture is of one of my favorite "Fan Appreciation Night" moments -- this little boy, Antonio I think his name was, was just SO EXCITED to get a jersey from THE Sidney Crosby that he just kept rambling on and on about how great it was and that he was going to hang it up in his room, etc. All Crosby was trying to do was get him to spell his name so he could sign his jersey -- it was just the cutest thing (this pic really captures the moment well)!!

Does anyone else feel like the season flew by way too fast??!! I can honestly remember when I was anxiously waiting for the first regular season game to start (well, the first regular game AFTER they returned from Sweden!)!! Can you believe that the Penguins last regular season home game is tomorrow with only one game remaining in the regular season after that (Saturday against Montreal)??!!! AMAZING - it goes faster and faster every season and I think it's because I enjoy it more and more (and I become bigger fan every year if that's even possible!)!!! How can you not? Hockey is such an awesome sport / game!

Here's some things those of us who will be there have to look forward too (YES -- I'll be there!):

Prior to the game's start, the team's annual awards ceremony will take place and fans are asked to be in their seats by 7:25 PM. After the game, twenty three "randomly chosen*" fans will be the lucky recipients of a game-worn jersey(literally worn during the game that very night) from one of the 23 players (including scratched and injured players).

Other prizes will be awarded to fans all throughout the night as well.

“We receive incredible support from our fans, as evidenced by our 106-game sellout streak, and this gives us one more chance to say ‘thank you,’ to the people who make it all possible,” said team president David Morehouse.

*I use the term "randomly chosen" very lightly because I believe they choose these fans from a pool of STH and they are all well aware who they are before they even show up at the game that evening. Not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with honoring the STH because Lord knows they fork over a buttload of cash during the season (and I aspire to be one in the near future - ; ) ), but let's just call it what it is instead of sugar-coating it with "randomly chosen" since it's not very random as far as which fans they choose from. And I'll get off my soap box for now!

3 comments:

gilld22 said...

I agree that the season has flown by, I think for me it is because I spent a big part of it looking forward to actually going to a couple of the season games and now the season has nearly gone!! I wish I was going to tonighst game or at least be able to watch it!!

PS: I am off work this weekend so look out for some photos etc from me!!

Kylie @ Faux Hawks and Follies said...

I still can't believe it's April 9th and tonight is the last home game. Where did the season go?!

Maybe Lauren and I will run into you tonight! :)

Life_As_A_Redhead said...

I know, I can't myself, believe that it's the end of the season ALREADY!!!! I find myself dreading the summer, and the season isn't even quite over yet.

It's my DREAM to sometime get to be part of one of these. "Fan Appreciation games".

I think it's the single neatest thing in any sport I know of. The "Shirt off the back" thing.