Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Crosby Among All-Stars to Challenge Ovechkin

Yesterday, the NHL announced the All-Stars that will be challenging Breakaway Challenge champ Alexander Ovechkin at this year's All-Star Skills Competition to be held the day prior to the game on Saturday, January 24th. Ovechkin won last year's challenge with some funky spin-around baseball swing (and a miss, I might add) move (I didn't think it was that impressive, but I don't like the kid much)!

The players challenging the reigning champ are Sidney Crosby (everyone else can bow out now because I'm certain whatever he does will be amazing!!), Ryan Getzlaf, Patrick Kan, and Alexei Kovalev.

How it works: each shooter gets as many chances he can pull off in one minute to creatively shoot a breakaway goal and impress the judges who happen to be the fans. Fans will vote through text message.

When an NHL staff writer asked Crosby what tricks he had up his sleeve, he admitted that he
"I was actually saying that today. I don't have anything to really do," Crosby told NHL.com. "I'll probably just go out there for a minute and have fun. Whatever kind of comes just comes I guess. I'll do a few things leading up to know I can do something, but other than that I'll try to have fun with it."
"For sure you have to try stuff, but there are only so many ways you can flip the puck up," Crosby said. "You want to be original if possible, but there is not too much that guys haven't done. If there is, somebody will find it."
To read the entire article, "Crosby: Mum's the word," visit NHL.com.

No comments: