Sunday, February 15, 2009

And So the Changes Begin


The Penguins just announced that they've fired head coach Michel Therrien and that WB / S head coach Dan Bylsma will act as the interim head coach until a new one is hired.

I don't know about you, but this comes as a total shock to me and John -- BIG SURPRISE!! And my first thought after getting over the shock was that someone will probably be picking him up as a coach soon and he won't have to worry about being out of work for long (IMO).

The sad part of all of this -- assistant coach Andre Savard was reassigned within the organization and Mike Yeo and Gilles Meloche will remain in their current positions. Tom Fitzgerald will replace Savard. Therrien took the heat for everyone and the single coach that may be most to blame, Yeo for his PP downfall, gets to keep his position.

More to be posted as I find out, so check back later / tomorrow.

[UPDATE]
OK - so all this has got me thinking -- where the hell are they going to find a good head coach now? Could Bylsma be more than just the interim and could we be looking at the new Penguins head coach? It's happened before - that's how Therrien got his job in the first place. Besides the fact that the Baby Pens haven't had too bad of a season and half of them have already been called up and alot of them make up what currently is the Pens.

3 comments:

Kylie @ Faux Hawks and Follies said...

Even amidst all the rumors and speculation, I never really thought it would happen. I'm stunned.

gilld22 said...

I am really shocked, I know the Pens are on a bit of a slump but I really did not expect this for one moment.

Penguins Pride said...

I was shocked, i honestly think the situation this team is in is more Shero's fault than anyone elses. Its a shame Therian had to take the fall