Monday, November 2, 2009

I LOVE to See Sid Get Fired Up!!

Unfortunately (maybe fortunately), I missed Saturday's game against the Minnesota Wild (and the return of Sykie) except for a few minutes of the end of the first period which is probably pretty much all I needed to see since the score at that point ended up being the final score of the game.

I've read / heard that this game the Penguins played well for the majority of all three periods which differed from the game last Friday against the Blue Jackets even though they won. But isn't that hockey??! Friday the Pens got a late start and didn't give a really good effort until the third period and they ended up winning and on Saturday, they played three straight periods of good hockey and lost - the bounces just weren't going their way and let's be honest, Backstrom is a really great goalie (just for this particular game, he stopped 34 of the 35 shots he faced compared to 13 of the 15 shots that Fleury stopped - that's pretty telling right there).

I was probably most disappointed when I realized I missed Sid's fight with Marek Zidlicky. I really enjoy seeing Sid get involved like that because it's rare (which is probably a good thing) and you just know that it's at that point he's had enough. From what I saw, Zidlicky was on him pretty good and at one point Zidlicky questionably tripped Sid right into the boards (could be a debatable "slew foot") which is what I think he took exception to and believe I heard Crosby say in an interview that it just "didn't feel good" and so it escalated into a few slashes and ultimately the fight which, I believe, Sid won.

No comments: