Sunday, June 29, 2008

TSN Reports Malone is Now TB Player

Speculation on whether or not Malone will sign with Tampa Bay ended today. TSN has reported that "MALONE INKS SEVEN YEAR DEAL WITH LIGHTNING."

The contract which was completed today is for 7 years / $31.5 million - YES, that is correct (I read it several times and made sure I got the numbers right)!

That's amazing! What's interesting is that last week TB hired Malone's father, Greg, as the team's head pro scout. A deal Ryan couldn't refuse? Obviously (in more ways than 1)!

This was the first year Malone actually stepped up and improved his play and, in my opinion, there's no way he's worth this money. I really think TB is taking a chance here since the consistency (or inconsistency) of his play hasn't really been seen over a long period of time. With that being said, I do feel that Malone is a good player and I'm certain that we'll miss him on the ice this coming season, but I think Shero made a wise decision with standing firm on his offer and getting a third-round draft pick out of it!

THANKS for giving us your all this year Malone, I wish you nothing but the best in your venture with TB - we'll definitely miss you!

No comments: