Tuesday, June 17, 2008

STARTING OVER in the Off-Season

During the past couple of weeks, I've been visiting the Pens webpage for any new information I can find -- and maybe any signs of PENS life! Most times I've been disappointed by the lack of updates, so I ventured into the realm of message boards and blog sites. I have been very inspired by the creators of The Pensblog, a blog site that I've been reading for the past several months, but only more compulsively over the last several weeks.

This blog is a creative take on the PENS as well as the entire hockey world and has attained somewhat of a cult status with a very impressive following (even selling their own clothing / merchandise) -- many of the "lines" that have become popular over the course of this season and that you may have noticed on various signs around the arena have started right there on their very blog site - "WWGRD" (What Would Gary Roberts Do); "Gary Roberts for President". As far as I'm concerned, they're kicking ass and taking names; making no apologies for the blunt, but true, postings (this is by no means a "G"-rated blog or intended for children; or the faint of heart for that matter). No, this blog was created for passionate PENS fans by passionate PENS fans which is why it has become so endearing to me! I feel as though I've finally found someone who understands and thinks like me -- "Hey, maybe I'm not crazy after all!"

With all of this in mind and becoming highly motivated by reading The Pensblog, I've decided to start my blog back up again even though my first attempt lasted for only a day; this time my plan is to have a different spin on it than the one I was going for before. It's a great solution to many of the problems I'm currently facing in the off-season:

  1. occupies the free time I have until next hockey season (or football season at least); and God help me I'm not going to be bored enough to watch Pirates baseball!

  2. allows me to talk about and discuss the PENS (and Steelers) with other big fans

  3. gives me a place to get rid of all these racing PENS (and eventually Steelers) thoughts in my head

  4. may alleviate the hatred I have for Ron Cook and the rest of all those grumpy old sports writers that have nothing better to do than complain

This will be FUN, I promise,
so -- ENJOY THE RIDE!!

No comments: