Wednesday, June 25, 2008

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUTUUUU (maybe?)!!

My hope of Ruutu staying in a black & gold jersey could be a possibility!

He is one of my favorite players and I have been searching non-stop for anything relating to talks with him unsuccessfully for the past week other than a mention here and there (and nothing definite on whether or not he will / wants to be resigned to Pittsburgh).

My husband just found this from TFP (TheFourthPeriod.com):
With the chances of the Penguins re-signing Hossa diminishing with each passing day, and the team unlikely to bring back sniper Ryan Malone, the Shero will attempt to keep defenseman Brooks Orpik and winger Jarkko Ruutu.

Shero and Orpik's agent, Lewis Gross, have spoken, but the Post-Gazette claims no formal offers have been made. Shero expects to meet with Ruutu's agent, Don Baizley, before July 1.

Although, according to a few message boards I've visited, TFP doesn't appear to be more than a place for rumors (and not one of the highly regarded sources for them); however, it's SOMETHING and that's all I can ask for!

I've always thought Ruutu is a totally underrated player who doesn't get nearly the amount of credit he deserves! Granted, he isn't 1st- / 2nd-line material but he is definitely one of those "go-to" guys on the team that makes things happen for the Pens; not to mention his above average shoot-out goal scoring ability! I think the Penguins need to keep him especially in light of the fact that Malone has all but signed a contract for his departure. I know, I know, I've heard it before - a player like Ruutu can be replaced. Can he?

He's a smart player and it takes alot of finesse to know how to get under opponents' skin with enough sense to know how far to go and when to draw a penalty. Yes, he does get alot of unfair calls based solely on his name (and an undeserving reputation which precedes him), but would you rather be playing against him?

I can only hope that the Pittsburgh Post Gazette or Tribune Review will have more on Ruutu soon! In the meantime, I stand firm IMO that Ruutu is a player they need to keep (it wouldn't be the same without him)!

No comments: