Friday, April 9, 2010

Off-Day Notes

YES ... I am very late with this news, but I've been "under the weather," (not to mention I was at last night's final regular season home game at the Igloo) so take what you can get!!
  • FOND FAREWELL - Yes ... I was lucky enough to be at last night's game against the Isles for the final regular season home game for the Pens at the Igloo and it was just BREATHTAKING ... I have a few pictures that I still have to edit and post here, so stay tuned!!
  • BAD PONI!! Today, the NHL announced that Alexei Ponikarovsky will be suspended for the final two regular season Penguins games without pay for his hit on Josh Bailey last night in the third period against the NY Islanders. It wasn't a dirty hit ... I can attest to that (we were sitting at that end of the rink) and it wasn't something Poni had intended, but regardless, if the NHL is going to take on the boarding (and hits to the head) issue then I understand the suspension is necessary; however, if they can't get consistent with rulings then that's when I have a problem!!
    Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Ponikarovsky will forfeit $21,813.48. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
  • CROSBY'S 50th, TAKE TWO!! After off-ice officials reviewed what first appeared to be Crosby's 50th goal from last night's game, it was ultimately given to Billy Guerin and something Crosby knew immediately. 
    “I thought right away when I shot it that it hit Billy’s leg or pants or something,” Crosby said after the game. “I asked him right after and he said it went off his pants.”

    Right after the puck went into the goal, Crosby excitedly pointed toward Guerin. Crosby even shook his head “no” on the bench as the Mellon Arena PA announced the goal in his favor.

    “That is something that if it hits off him, you don’t want it,” Crosby said. “It’s not your goal. It would have been great to get it here but at the end of the day goals go to guys who deserve them. And he deserved that one.”

    "Sidney indicated that the goal that would have been his 50th went off of Billy Guerin and into the net," head coach Dan Bylsma said. "The goal is officially Billy’s and not Sid’s 50th."

No comments: