Saturday, August 1, 2009

Next Up: Yesterday Was Talbot's Day with the Cup

Yesterday, July 31st, was Talbot's day to show off the Stanley Cup to his hometown in St. Bruno.
“It’s my home town, I lived here all my life, my family still lives here, I played my minor hockey here at the Palais des Glaces, I got bursaries from the city when I was in Major Junior. So it was an obvious choice,” Talbot said. “It was the only place I could think of to bring the Cup.”
He's one of many of the players who took the opportunity to raise money for charity. For the past few weeks, tickets were sold at $5 each and 125 pulled in a drawing to choose those who would be lucky enough to get their picture taken with Talbot and the Cup. The proceeds went to the Children's Wish Foundation.

The day included a parade (with a few familiar faces joining Talbot and his family on a flat-bed truck - Kris Letang and Iceburgh). Letang generously helped Talbot lift the Stanley Cup over and over again due to his recovery from shoulder surgery a few weeks ago. There were lots of activities for the kids, a band, and it ended at the Parc du Village and the neighboring school yard at the Ecole de Montarville where Talbot addressed the crowd from on stage. Later that evening, Talbot hosted a private party for 350 of his family and closest friends.

A video of Talbot talking on stage is posted below (and, unfortunately for some, he's speaking French):


UPCOMING (and past) DATES WITH THE CUP:
Thursday, July 30th -- Gilles Meloche (Rosemère)
Saturday, August 1st - Pascal Dupuis (Boisbriand)

No comments: