Pittsburgh Hornets* owner John Harris began talks with the Norris family, owners of the Detroit Red Wings, to begin an ownership transfer.
*Pittsburgh lost its only professional team in 1929 when the Pittsburgh Pirates moved the franchise across the state to become the Philadelphia Quakers. The Yellow Jackets returned to Pittsburgh in 1930 after Roy Schooley re-acquired the team. They were later purchased by Pittsburgh theater chain owner, John Harris, in 1932. On October 4, 1936, the Detroit Olympics were sold, moved to Pittsburgh, and were re-named the Pittsburgh Hornets (originally, the Hornets were the minor-league affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings who won the Stanley Cup in 1936 with Don Aurie on that team).