Friday, May 28, 2010
- June 22nd: 2010-2011 schedules will be released
- October 7th: opening of the 2010-2011 NHL Season (includes Pens VS Flyers, Blackhawks VS Avalanche, Habs VS Leafs, and Oilers VS Flames)
- January 1st: Winter Classic @ Heinz Field in Pittsburgh (Pens VS Caps)
- January 29th: All Star Game @ RBC Center in
- February 20th: Heritage Classic @ McMahon Stadium in Calgary (Flames VS Habs)
"It'll be a winter celebration for the region," Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato said of a New Year's Day outdoor game between the Penguins and Washington Capitals at Heinz Field.Although this will be the fourth Winter Classic, it will be the first played in a football stadium. Heinz Field seats more than 66,000 and Pittsburgh officials "are optimistic" that a majority of that seating will be available for this event.
Ticket information along with an unveiling of the Pittsburgh's Winter Classic logo are expected sometime in late June during a press conference.
According to ESPN.com (reported in the same article in the Washington Post), it will also be announced that a second outdoor game between the Flames and Canadiens (played in Calgary) tentatively scheduled for February.
So STAY TUNED!!
Tom Barrasso stops 28 shots in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Florida Panthers (making it his fifth post-season shutout with Pittsburgh)
the Pens were eliminated from the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals by the NJ Devils by a score of 4-1
Scotty Bowman steps down as the Penguins head coach with a record of 95-53-16 (.628 winning percentage)
Thursday, May 27, 2010
The Penguins drafted Petersen in the fourth round of last year's NHL Entry Draft (121st overall). He played the 2009-2010 season with the Saint John Sea Dogs after playing two seasons with the Shawinigan Cataractes in the QMJHL.
Monday, May 24, 2010
Former Johnstown Chiefs members who have committed to play in the Ziggy’s Fundraiser game at Planet Ice on June 5th (as published in the Johnstown Tribune-Democrat yesterday):
Sunday, May 23, 2010
Penguins defeat the Boston Bruins in four games to win the Wales Conference Championship for the second consecutive season.
Penguins defeat the Minnesota North Stars in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup finals by a score of 6-4.
Saturday, May 22, 2010
the Penguins were eliminated from the Eastern Conference Finals by the NJ Devils in Game 5 by a score of 4-2
the Penguins lost Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals to the NJ Devils by a score of 4-2 (NJ eliminated Pittsburgh in five games)
Friday, May 21, 2010
Evgeni Malkin netted a hat trick for the first time during the playoffs (on goalie Cam Ward which was so infamously called by Mike Lange as "Cam Ward just lost his liquor license!"); it was also Malkin's fifth consecutive multiple-point game in a playoff year having him tie a Penguins team record held by Mario Lemieux, who did it in 1991 and 1992
Kevin Stevens records his first post-season hat trick with the team scoring four goals against Boston's Andy Moog
Thursday, May 20, 2010
The Penguins defeated the Florida Panthers, 3-2, in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Finals (the Panthers eventually won the series in seven games)
The Penguins opened the Eastern Conference Semifinals with a 3-2 win over the New Jersey Devils, but lost the next four games in the series
ICEOPLEX at Southpointe opened to the public
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
"I am happy to see that the stick and gloves are at the Hockey Hall of Fame," said Sidney Crosby. "I am glad hockey fans will get the chance to share the moment by seeing all the artifacts from that overtime up close, including my stick and gloves."READ the Press Release HERE
In a related note, the 2010 HHOF inductees are set to be selected and announced on June 22nd. The induction ceremony will be held on Monday, November 8, 2010 which will end the 2010 Induction Weekend that runs from Friday, November 5th through Sunday, November 7th, 2010 (ending with the formal ceremony). Some of the players who are "first-year eligibles" this year are John Leclaire, Eric Lindros, and Matthew Barnaby. CLICK HERE to for the rest of this list and more information on the 2010 HHOF induction.
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
For years, Dave Zeigler, more commonly known as “Ziggy” has been a mainstay of the hockey community in Johnstown through his equipment business at the War Memorial Arena and more recently across from the arena on Stonycreek Street in downtown Johnstown. Providing everyone with uniforms, equipment and anything else a player or a team needs for a successful season, “Ziggy” was always there for anyone from the local youth and scholastic programs to the Johnstown Chiefs. Last season, his work for the Pittsburgh Penguins earned him a Stanley Cup ring while working with fellow Johnstown native Dana Heinze.WHAT: Chiefs Alumni hockey game
Last month, our friend "Ziggy" was diagnosed with brain cancer. As he was there for all of us at one time or another to keep us on the ice, it is now time for us to come together for him. With the gracious help of Planet Ice, June 5th will be a special night with the Ziggy's Fundraiser to benefit Dave Zeigler and family.
WHERE: Planet Ice - Johnstown, PA
WHEN: Saturday, June 5 @ 7:30 PM - 10:00 PM (doors open at 6:30 PM)
BENEFITS: David "Ziggy" Zeigler and Family
COST: $50 / adult ticket; $20 / child ticket - purchase at Ziggy's pro shop, Planet Ice or Scott's By Dam (or contact firstname.lastname@example.org OR PH# 262-7465, ext 203)
GOAL: 500 tickets
Chiefs Alumni set to take part include Jean Desrochers, Joe Tallari, Dmitri Tarabrin, Jason Spence, and John Bradley
The fundrasiser will include a silent auction with a number of priceless hockey memoriabilia including Sidney Crosby autographed jersey (among other Pens items), Steven Stamkos autographed jersey, TBL promotional hockey stick signed by Lecavalier. There will also be a skate with the players following the game.
DONATIONS can be made at any First National Banks under the Ziggys Fundraiser account or can be mailed to First National Bank, 550 Central Avenue, Johnstown PA, 15902 (please make checks payable to Ziggys Fundraiser). You can also make donations online through PayPal HERE!!
For more information, visit the fundraiser webpage and / or Facebook page.
Excuses Bar & Grill "Sometimes, I go to work. And, I have a person crab at me because I have the audacity to put a lemon. In their lemonade. And. Sometimes, I go to work and get to see Sidney Crosby sing Karaoke and not need his bodyguard, because we let him be a kid. A very polite and cool kid, at that. Or Jordan Staal, Brook Orpik,... Chris Kunitz, Max Talbot and Billy "Freakin'" Guerin. Okay...the whole team."
Pittsburgh Frank "Craig Adams was singing lead & Sid did back up on 'Don't Stop Believing'. Mike Rupp sang 'The Gambler'. And it may have been Adams again on 'Sweet Caroline'. Can't quite remember. But, I do remember the crowd chanting 'Let's Go Pens' during the Bah Bah Baah part of the chorus. Bless the Pens effort on the mike but they should stick with thier day jobs."
1996The Penguins dropped Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals to the Florida Panthers, 5-1, and eventually lost the series in seven games.
1995Pittsburgh goalie Ken Wregget stopped 33 shots to shut out the Wasington Capitals, 3-0, to win Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals.
Sunday, May 16, 2010
Saturday, May 15, 2010
The first Stanley Cup Final game was played at the Civic Arena; the Pens lost to the Minnesota North Star by a score of 5-4.
Penguins rookie Michel Briere was involved in an automobile accident tha would leave him in a coma for nearly a year before he died (April 13, 1971).
Friday, May 14, 2010
Thursday, May 13, 2010
Penguins Webpage (05/12/2010)
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
If it doesn't give you chills, YOU'RE NOT A PENS FAN (or you have no emotion at all!)!!!!!
Friday, May 7, 2010
Montreal Canadiens webpage
The Numbers Game - May 6 (05/06/2010)
The Montreal Gazette
Habs rally late to tie series with Penguins (05/06/2010)
Habs battle back to tie series (05/06/2010)
Only thing left for Kostitsyn is road out of town (05/06/2010)
HABS Inside/Out blog
Round 2, Game 4: Canadiens battle back, tie series (05/06/2010)
Sergei seems good as gone now (05/06/2010)
Thursday, May 6, 2010
[UPDATE] Pre-Game Notes (Pittsburgh VS Montreal - GAME 4) - Guerin OUT, Rupp QUESTIONABLE, Staal TBD
according to the latest reports on the Penguins webpage:
- Guerin will not be in tonight's lineup with a "likely return" for Game 5 on Saturday
- Staal is a "gametime decision" (which we sorta knew with HC Bylsma's slight "slip" last night to the media)
- Rupp is questionable for "undisclosed reasons"
both Billy G. and Staalsy participated in this morning's skate, but their status for gametime is unknown (last I heard, Staal was still "day-to-day"); when I read / hear updates, they'll be posted here so check back!!
- Andrei Kostitsyn, who had been working on the fourth line, skated with Scott Gomez and Mike Cammalleri
- Sergei Kostitsyn wasn't at the morning skate
- Jaroslav Spacek did skate but his status for the game is still not known
The Montreal Gazette
Habs fans finding there’s money to be made in playoffs (05/05/2010)
Quick-healing Staal close to returning to Penguins’ lineup (05/05/2010)
Got Habs tickets? (05/05/2010)
HABS Inside/Out blogGill joins scrubs on the ice (05/05/2010)
Penguins' Staal practises in full equipment (05/05/2010)
Habs, Pens – some of them – back on ice (05/05/2010)
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
The Penguins webpage is reporting that he "appeared strong on his skates" - WOW!!! It would seem as though they're planning a return soon which is totally amazing to me considering the type of injury to and his having surgery on his foot!!
Bylsma said after the Game 3 skate. "He is progressing. He was on the ice for a short time without his gear on testing out his foot and his skate. He’ll remain day-to-day and doing well."
Pens - 2, Habs - 0
Pittsburgh leads series 2-1
Edged in Game 3 (05/04/2010)
So close (05/04/2010)
The Montreal Gazette
Montreal always puts on a good show (05/05/2010)
'Guys were out too long': Martin (05/05/2010)
Malkin the difference for Pens (05/05/2010)
Penguins were ready to be taken (05/05/2010)
Crosby snakebit in Montreal (05/05/2010)
Martin's system paying off (05/05/2010)
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
DB on roster updates:
"Jordan Staal, there were a few chuckles when I said he was day-to-day. But he is day-to-day. He is progressing. He was on the ice for a short time without his gear on testing out his foot and his skate. He’ll remain day-to-day and doing well. Being the playoffs, Bill Guerin is just a maintenance (day) and will be game-time (decision). Mark Letestu was on one of the four lines today. He’s a guy we would insert into the center position if need be."
DB on the risks of playing Staal:GUERIN
"We would not be risking anything in terms of his health. You’d have to talk to a doctor about the procedure. There is no risk right now. He has to heal from the surgical wound and get back in his boot and be comfortable playing. It’s not a risk in terms of weighing if he should play."
the Penguins webpage reported that Bill Guerin was absent from this morning's skate and the line combinations were "adjusted" as follows:
LINE COMBINATIONS (projected from this morning's skate)
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis ... is this RIGHT - this is the third line (perhaps because HC Bylsma doesn't have the "matchup" choices?)???
- perhaps these lines are a better fit for the opposing team's match-ups in the previous two games ... I'm not sure the reasoning, but we'll see come gametime (aside from the fact that HC Bylsma has been switching it up after the first few line changes of the game anyway)
the Penguins webpage also reported that Staal skated for about five minutes prior to the morning skate, so I'm thinking he's anxious to get back and as much as we're anxious to have him back in the lineup I'm HOPING that he doesn't push it (and the the Penguins medical staff doesn't allow him to push it either)!
MONTREAL INJURY / LINE INFO
- Jaroslav Spacek (D) was back on the ice this morning since being out of the lineup since Game 3 against Washington with chest congestion, but his status is still "day-to-day with a virus"
- And, of course, Andrei Markov (D) is out for the rest of the season with a lower-body injury
Marian Hossa scored 7:10 into overtime to lift the Penguins to a 3-2 win to eliminate the New York Rangers in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals.
The Penguins and Flyers played the third longest game in NHL history (five-overtime, 152:01 minutes); the Flyers won, 2-1, on Keith Primeau's goal. Penguins goaltender Ron Tugnutt made a team-high of 70 saves in that game.
The Penguins defeated the New Jersey Devils in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals, 4-2.
The Penguins surrendered a playoff team high 61 shots on goal in regulation against the Florida Panthers.
Tom Barrasso earned his fourth post-season shutout after he stopped 26 shots to defeat the New York Islanders, 3-0, in Game 2 of the Patrick Division Finals (the Islanders ended up winning the series in seven games).
Monday, May 3, 2010
- the Penguins had an optional practice today with ten players participating: McKee, Leopold, Fedotenko, Godard, Ponikarovsky, Johnson, TK, Rupp, Cooke and Thiessen
- they also made a few players available for media interviews before they headed to Montreal for Game 3: Fleury, Talbot, and Guerin
Saturday, May 1, 2010
- according to HC Bylsma, Jordan Staal underwent surgery to repair the lacerated tendon in his foot and is listed as "day-to-day"
- according to TSN, Staal underwent this surgery last night repairing the severed tendon running from the top of his foot to his toe and that it was originally believed that Staal's season was over but it now depends on how his foot heals and he could rejoin his team at the Conference Finals "if" they make it that far
- Staal had never missed an NHL game due to injury to this point in his career, having played 358 consecutive games
- since returning to practice Wednesday, Jordan Leopold was able to participate in a regular white practice jersey instead of a gray / blue "no contact" practice jersey; so things are looking positive for his return shortly
- here's the lines at today's practice in Southpointe:
- other players were not present to take part in practice at Southpointe today: Jordan Staal, Brooks Orpik, Bill Guerin, Chris Kunitz, Mark Eaton and Sergei Gonchar (Mark Letestu is practicing with the main team today)
- according to the Montreal Gazette's blog, HABS Inside/Out, Andrei Markov returned to Montreal "immediately after last night's game, if not before the game had ended" to see team orthopedic specialists; ALSO Jaroslav Spacek is ruled out for Game 2 on Sunday afternoon